There have been a lot of changes in my life lately. Sadly, that includes a few of my great work friends moving to far off places. This week, my fellow dietitians and I bid farewell to one of them. (Hey Katherine! We will miss you bunches.)
And just like we always do, we said goodbye with a lunch potluck at work. Why? Because dietitians love food. And when we have potlucks, there is great food to share. Katherine is vegan, so we had lots of yummy vegan-friendly dishes. Including…ta-da!!….vegan cupcakes!! (That are also Gluten Free!)
And what are cupcakes without frosting, really? But regular vegan “butter”cream has been done in my kitchen before. I needed something new. As I searched the aisles of Central Market for some inspiration, I stumbled upon Tofutti.
I’d never tried this before. I know of some vegan cheesecake recipes that call for Tofutti, but never really knew what it would taste like or how else it could be used. The package said “better than cream cheese”, to which I thought “good, because cream cheese is yucky.” (Unless in cheesecake form.) And I’ll admit I was a bit turned off by the taste of Tofutti, too.
But I gave it a whirl in my mixer. The creation was a hit!
Vegan Cream Cheese Frosting
Makes enough to frost 24 cupcakes or frost an 8″ cake
- 8oz Tofutti Better Than Cream Cheese, softened
- 2/3 cup vegetable shortening, coconut oil, or softened vegan buttery sticks
- 5 cups powdered (confectioner’s) sugar
- 1/2 tsp almond extract
- With an electric mixer, cream together Tofutti and shortening (or other fat of choice). I use my stand mixer for this process.
- Slowly add sugar, one cup at a time. Scrape sides of the bowl often.
- Beat in almond extract.
- Frost your favorite vegan cupcakes! I used my vegan chocolate cupcakes for this batch.
And because Valentine’s Day is fast approaching, here’s a V-day dressed version. 🙂