It’s Mardi Gras time people!! Wooohooo!!!!!
….ok so I’ve never been to Mardi Gras. I’ve never really celebrated Mardi Gras. But hey, I can eat a King Cake with the best of ’em. 🙂
And thanks to a wonderful friend that lives in the Mardi Gras capital (Hi Joel!), I’ve finally had a King Cake. A real one…not the ones that I can buy at Kroger. Here’s the legit cake:
So, naturally, I was determined to try and make my own.
I found a recipe that looked decent (and somewhat simple) so I tried to make little mini cakes to sell at my cousin’s Relay for Life bake sale.
First, I’ll give you the link to the recipe I used. Then, I’ll tell you the little changes I made to make it slightly more healthy. Slightly. The amount of butter and sugar in the filling more or less cancels out the changes I made to the cake itself.
Eh, a girl can try.
Here’s the link to the recipe: http://allrecipes.com/recipe/mardi-gras-king-cake/
- I used 1/4 cup sugar and 2 Tbsp Truvia baking blend instead of the full 1/2 cup sugar in the dough.
**Note: Use real sugar when prepping the yeast. Yeast needs the sugar to activate.
- Instead of 2 full eggs, I used 1 egg and 2 egg whites.
- For the filling, I cut out 1 Tbsp of butter. The filling was still really moist instead of crumbly, so you may be able to cut out 2 Tbsp instead of just 1.
Now a few observations:
- This cake was NOT as moist as the real king cake. With more glaze, it would be better.
- I used more like 6 cups of flour instead of 5 1/2. With the amount listed in the recipe, the dough was way too sticky and I couldn’t knead it.
- If you make smaller cakes, cut baking time by about 10 minutes and watch closely. Take cakes out when they begin to brown.
So what’s my verdict? ….I’m going to leave King Cake making to the folks in NOLA. But I’m still determined to find an easy recipe that tastes as good as the real thing.
Hopefully you have better luck with this recipe. Maybe I just did a few things wrong. I know for sure that I over baked them and dried them out.
Oh well, there’s always next year.