Close your eyes and think of your favorite dessert. (Then open them so you can keep reading…)
What did you think about? Maybe a rich chocolate cake that totally satisfied your sweet tooth? (If not, pretend)
This cake is pretty rich, chocolatey, and features another great ingredient: peanut butter!! It also happens to be a vegan cake. No eggs and no dairy. I made it to bring for a school pot luck, and was very happy I didn’t have any left to taunt me at my apartment.
The pictured cake was gluten-free to accommodate one of my classmates. To do this, substitute the all purpose flour for Bob’s Red Mill GF All-Purpose flour and add 1/2 tsp Xanthan gum.
Here’s the recipe:
Peanut Butter & Chocolate Cake
Makes 12-14 servings
***See recipe for whipped peanut butter and vegan chocolate ganache following cake recipe***
- 1 cup soy milk
- 1 tsp apple cider vinegar
- 3/4 cup + 2 Tbsp sugar
- 1/3 cup canola oil
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 3/4 tsp almond extract
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/3 cup cocoa powder
- 3/4 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp salt
- Preheat oven to 350. Prepare two 8″ cake pans by greasing them and dusting with cocoa powder.
- In a large mixing bowl, stir together soy milk and vinegar. Allow to sit for 3-5 minutes to curdle.
- Beat sugar, oil, and extracts into the milk mixture until foamy.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together remaining ingredients. Slowly add this dry mixture to your wet ingredients, mixing until combined after each addition. Beat until there are no large lumps in the batter.
- Pour into prepared cake pans. Bake 22-25 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Cool in pan on wire rack 10-15 minutes. Then, take out of pan and allow to cool completely on wire rack before frosting.
- Level cakes. Spread a thin layer of whipped peanut butter on one layer, stacking the other layer directly on top of filling. Frost with chocolate ganache.
Whipped Peanut Butter
You’ll need: 1/2 cup creamy peanut butter, 1/4 cup soy milk, 1-2 Tbsp powdered sugar
Place all ingredients in a medium bowl and, using an electric mixer with whisk attachment, whisk until light and fluffy.
*This makes extra whipped peanut butter. You won’t use all of the for one cake.
Vegan Chocolate Ganache
You’ll need: 1 1/4 cups non-dairy chocolate chips, scant 1/2 cup soy milk
Place chocolate chips in a medium bowl. In a separate bowl, microwave soy milk on High 1 minute. Pour hot soy milk over chocolate chips, stirring until chips are melted. If all chocolate will not melt, place mixture in the microwave 15-30 seconds and stir.
Tried this recipe? Tell me what you think!