Sweet or salty? ….Both! I have to admit I’m not a huge buttered popcorn fan. I blame a too-much-butter-on-the-popcorn incident when Titanic came out (for the first time). Fun tip~ lots of butter and popcorn with a moving ocean on the screen isn’t a great idea. Yuck. Anyway, I’ve grown up since then and popcorn and I are once again becoming friends.
I’m still partial to sweet flavors, though. And when it came time for a party favor for my sister’s surprise party, I wanted something edible and easy…but still a crowd pleaser. This popcorn is the perfect solution for both!
This is just the right amount of sweet and salty, and makes the perfect party favor or goody for holidays. The recipe is originally modified from Cooking Classy, and can be molded to fit your taste preference and occasion.
Sweet ‘N Salty Popcorn
- 2 full-sized bags tender white popcorn
- 12 oz plain vanilla candy melts (ex: Wilton brand)
- 2 cups pretzel squares, broken into pieces
- 1 1/4 cups M&M’s
- Sprinkles, if desired
- Line baking sheets with wax paper OR aluminum foil spritzed with non-stick spray.
- Pop popcorn according to bag directions. Pour into large bowl and separate popped pieces from unpopped kernels.
- Add broken pretzel pieces and M&M’s to bowl of popped popcorn.
- Microwave vanilla candy pieces in a microwave-safe bowl on HIGH for 30 seconds at a time, stirring after each spin in the microwave, until candy is melted and smooth. Careful not to over-microwave the candy melts!
- Pour melted vanilla candy over popcorn mixture. Carefully stir candy into the popcorn until well incorporated and it appears all popcorn, pretzels, and M&M’s are coated.
- Pour mixture onto prepared baking sheets and allow candy melts to cool and harden completely. (this took a few hours for me)
- Once hardened, break up popcorn mixture and place in an airtight container or treat bags. Store at room temp.
I bought pink, black, and white M&M’s to match the party. This is a great way to customize the recipe to match your theme or the occasion. Let’s be real, it’s also really fun to have your food match your party!
Question: Which do you prefer, sweet or salty? How about both?