Just imagine you’re on a beach, sand in your toes, big floppy hat (or gobs of sunscreen if you’re pale like me), and a fruity, refreshing cupcake in your hand. Ha! And you were expecting me to say a fruity drink.
For those who don’t know, I moonlight as a bartender to pay for grad school. Well, for that and because it makes me feel cool to say that’s my job. Lately, frozen drinks have been VERY popular. It gets super hot here, so that’s understandable. I figure an alcoholic cupcake will be just as popular. Enter the pina colada cupcake!
These cupcakes are super moist and taste very similar to a pina colada. Because they’re fairly sweet, I didn’t top them with frosting. I decided to top them with whipped cream instead and it is delicious!
If you like pina col…oh sorry…I couldn’t resist singing the song 🙂
- 1/3 cup coconut rum (use a decent one, you can taste it in the cupcakes)
- 2/3 cup milk
- 1/4 cup pineapple juice
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1 1/2 cups flour
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 stick unsalted butter or margarine, softened
- 1 cup granulated Splenda
- 3 Tbsp granulated sugar
- 3 large eggs
- 1 cup shredded coconut
- 1 cup crushed pineapple-slightly drained (in 100% juice or no sugar added)
- Preheat oven to 350 F.
- In a small bowl, combine first 4 ingredients. Set aside
- In a medium bowl, combine flour, baking soda, and salt. Stir and set aside.
- In a large bowl, cream together butter, Splenda, and sugar. Beat with electric mixer until light and fluffy.
- Add eggs one at a time, beating until combined after each egg.
- Alternate adding flour mixture and milk mixture, mixing until combined after each addition.
- Fold in coconut and pineapple.
- Fill cupcake liners 3/4 full. Bake 20-25 minutes or until golden brown.
- Allow to cool and top with whipped cream before serving.
If you’re feelin’ fancy, you can top it off with some toasted coconut or mix some coconut flavoring into buttercream.
What is your favorite summertime drink?