On Friday, I celebrated a BIG milestone in my world: my LAST day as a dietetic intern. Yay!!! Hopefully, the next time I’m working in a hospital I’ll have the RD title behind my name….and will be getting paid. Let’s be real, I’m a little more excited about the paycheck.
Anywho, so yes, big day. My last rotation has been at the Veteran’s Affairs hospital, and I did what I always do on my last day at a location. I baked thank-you favors. This time, I made Snickerdoodle cupcakes and Pina Colada cupcakes.
I’ve always LOVED snickerdoodle cookies. My mom has the best recipe and their soft, cinnamon-y goodness is amazing. Now I have it in cupcake form.
Recipe adapted from Martha Stewart’s recipe….and made a bit more healthy.
Makes 28 cupcakes.
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 cups cake flour
- 1 Tbsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 Tbsp ground cinnamon
- 2 sticks (1 cup) unsalted butter or margarine, at room temp
- 1 1/4 cup granulated Splenda
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1/3 cup liquid egg whites
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 cup skim milk
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line cupcake pan with paper liners.
- Sift together both flours, baking powder, salt, and cinnamon.
- In a large bowl, beat together butter, Splenda, and sugar with an electric mixer until light and fluffy.
- Add eggs one at a time, then add egg whites, mixing until incorporated after each addition. Scrape the sides of the bowl often.
- Beat in vanilla, then reduce mixer speed to low.
- Add flour mixture in 3 batches, alternating with two additions of milk. Beat until combined after each….But don’t over-mix! (it makes the cupcake tough)
- Fill paper liners 3/4 full. Bake about 20 minutes, rotating pans halfway through. Cupcakes are done when an inserted toothpick comes out clean.
- Allow to cool completely in cupcake pan on a wire rack.
Now, let’s talk toppings. Yes, you can make a cinnamon buttercream to go on top (more on that another day) but I made a simple cinnamon-sugar topping for these to simplify it a bit. Here’s how:
- 1 Tbsp butter, melted (OR you can use spray butter, which is fewer calories and much easier)
- 2 Tbsp granulated sugar
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- With a spoon, spread a small amount of butter (or a couple of sprays if using spray butter) on top of a cupcake.
- Sprinkle a pinch of cinnamon-sugar on top of buttered cupcake, shaking off any excess.
- Repeat for all cupcakes.
Question of the day: What’s your favorite cookie? Maybe we can make it into a cupcake too!